At Himalayan Hospital, we combine superior clinical success rates and advanced technology with tradition of Himalayan care and warmth.
The Himalayan Hospital is a 750 bed multi-specialty hospital established in 1994. Of the 750 beds, 650 beds are teaching beds and 100 non-teaching beds. The Hospital is providing routine as well as super specialty services at an affordable cost.
The Hospital started as a small two room out-patient department in 1989 and soon expanded into a 250-bed hospital which was inaugurated by the then Finance Minister of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh in 1994. Within three years, the hospital expanded to a 750 bed multi-specialty hospital.
- The largest hospital in Uttarakhand
- The first and the only EYE BANK in Uttarakhand
- The first and the only KIDNEY TRANSPLANT CENTRE in Uttarakhand
- The first and the only COMPREHENSIVE CARDIAC CARE CENTRE in Uttarakhand
- The first and the only Comprehensive Cancer Treatment Centre in Uttarakhand
- The first and the only Nuclear Medicine Centre
- The only approved DOTS-plus center for the state of Uttarakhand
Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation
Skin, Venereology & Leprosy
Diet and Nutrition Clinic
Endocrinology and Diabetic Clinic
Super Specialty OPD
Cardio-thoracic & Vascular Surgery
Nephrology & Dialysis
Nuclear Medicine (Radiotherapy)
- OPD services are available between 8.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. on all days except Sundays & some of the National Holidays.
- The patient is required to register at the Registration Counter.
- Rs.10/- is charged for general OPD services.
- Rs.50/- for general OPD services after 2.30 p.m.
- Rs.50/- for super specialty OPD services per visit.
A total of 750 (seven hundred and fifty) beds in various categories with their per day tarrif is given below:
- General Ward Rs.75/-* per day.
- Semi Private Ward: Double occupancy-Rs.600/- *& Single occupancy-Rs.800/-*.
- Delux Ward: AC – Rs.2000/-* & Non AC – Rs.1400/-*
- Sewa Ward**: Free.
*(excluding medicine, investigation & procedural charges)
**The Sewa Ward facility is for expanding the hospital services to the poor by not only discounting hospital services but also providing completely free treatment including investigations, surgery, consumables, disposables and medicines. In order to realize Swami Rama’s dream, the hospital has a Poor Patient Fund that helps in sustaining the Sewa Ward facilities.
Emergency & Ambulance Services
The emergency department of the hospital provides round the clock services (accidents/ emergency and critical care) and is equipped to handle all types of emergencies. 24 hours ambulance services are available to transport the patients to and from the hospital. Critical and serious patients are transported by the ambulance equipped with cardiac monitor, defibrillator, ventilator, syringe pump, suction machine, oxygen and other basic facilities.
24 hours Reference Laboratory provides comprehensive services through the combined effort of departments of Pathology, Microbiology & Biochemistry.
- Special investigations for infertile couples
Cytology Section provides the following services:
- Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology
- Exfoliative Cytology, Assisted Exfoliative Cytology
- Squash Smear
- Imprint Cytology
- Body Fluids Cytology
- Cervical Smear Cytology
- Smears for Barr Bodies etc.
Hematology & Clinical Pathology:
- Hematological Investigations – Routine & Special
- Anemia Profiles
- Bone Marrow Aspiration
- Bone Marrow Trephine Biopsy
- Coagulation Profiles
- Serum Electrophoresis
- Hemoparasite Screening
- Urine Analysis – Routine & special tests
- Speciman Biopsies
- Endoscopic Biopsies
- Frozen Tissue Section techniques
Investigations done in Clinical Biochemistry Section of the Reference Laboratory
Adenosine Deaminase (ADa)
Alanine Amino Transferase (ALT/SGPT)
Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP)
Alfa Feto Protein (AFP)
Arterial Blood Gas Analysis (Complete)
Aspartate Amino Transferase (Ast/SGOT)
Bilirubin (Total, Direct & Indirect)
Body Fluid Sugar, Protein
Ca – 125
Creatine Phosphokinase (CPK)
Creatine Phosphokinase-MB (CPK-MB)
Gamma Glutamyl Transpeptidase (GGT)
Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)
Globulin & A/G Ratio
Glucose 6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (Quantitative)
Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT)
Glycosylated Hemoglobin (Hba1c)
Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH)
Leutinizing Hormone (LH)
Liver Function Test (LFT)
Pleural Fluid LDH
Prostate Specific Antigen (Total PSA)
Renal Stone Analysis (Qualitative)
Serum For Osmolality
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)
Total Iron Binding Capacity (TIBC)
Total Protein (TP)
Troponin – I (Qualitative)
Urea Nitrogen (Bun)
Urine Calcium (24 Hours)
Urine Calcium (Spot)
Urine Chloride (Spot & 24 Hours)
Urine Creatinine (Spot & 24 Hours)
Urine Phosphorus (Spot & 24 Hours)
Urine Potassium (Spot & 24 Hours)
Urine Protein (Quantitative) 24 Hrs
Urine Protein : Creatinine Ratio (Spot)
Urine Sodium (Spot & 24 Hrs)
Urine Sugar (Quantitative)
Urine Uric Acid (Spot & 24 Hrs)
The main focus of the department of Microbiology is to provide high quality service and constantly strive to improve standards. At present Microbiology laboratory is working towards achieving NABL Accreditation
Advanced Microbiological Tests:
- Automated Blood culture system (Bac Tec 9050 )for blood CSF culture
- MGIT for carrying out culture and sensitivity of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis
- ECI VITROS -Enhanced Chemiluminescence based -for carrying out TORCH,
- Viral hepatitis markers for HAV,HBV,HIV etc.
- Turbidometry for assaying Complement components, Immunoglobulins
- Rheumatoid Factor, CRP etc.
- PCR for Tuberculosis, HLA B27,Malaria,HPV
- Immunofluorescence for autoimmune diseases and rheumatoid disorders
- Bacteriology including Mycobacteriology-Gram staining, AFB staining, Hanging drop for V.cholera, Aerobic culture and Sensitivity, Fluorescent staining – AFB Lepra bacilli Nocardia Cryptosporidium, Albert staining, TB culture and Sensitivity, Bacteriological analysis of Drinking water. Screening of clinical isolates for MRSA,ESBL
- Serology and Virology- Widal,VDRL, Leptospirosis ELISA for HBsAg, IgM anti HBc, HBeAg, anti HBs, HCV, IgM anti HEV, IgM anti HAV, HIV, TORCH Ig M amd IgG, ASO, IgM and IgG for TB,Dengue
- Immunology and Molecular Biology- ANA, anti CCP, anti ds DNA, ANCA, Total IgE, Complement – C3 C4, IgG, IgA, IgM, PCR for TB, HLA B27, HPV, Malaria, autoantibody for autoimmune diseases and rheumatoid disorders ,allergy testing, anti cardiolipin antibodies, Serum Insulin, CRP, RF
- Mycology – KOH mount,Fungal culture, Indian Ink
- Parasitology – For Intestinal Helminthiasis
- State Reference lab for External Quality Assurance Scheme of HIV testing for NACO
- Lab networking of IDSP for disease surveillance in state of Uttarakhand
- DOTS microscopy center
State Reference laboratory (SRL) for EQAS of HIV testing for NACO
This laboratory has been set up by NACO through Uttarakhand State AIDS Society at Himalayan Institute of Medical Sciences in 2008 with a purpose of External Quality Assurance Scheme (EQAS) of HIV testing in the state of Uttarakhand. There are around 48 ICTC clinics and PPTCT centers which are being monitored by this SRL. Quarterly in a year, 20% of Positive samples and 5% of Negative samples from these sites are send to SRL for retesing, furthermore a Proficiency panel from SRL is send to these centers for testing as per NACO protocols. This methodology is executed to maintain quality and uniformity of HIV testing in peripheral laboratories. The SRL is further monitored by a National Reference lab at NIB Noida for Quality Assurance.
MRI 1.5 Tesla
Whole body MRI with Angiography, diffusion weighted imaging, MR spectroscopy, MR myelography, MRCP and MR Urography, etc.
CT 64 Slice
Whole body CT scan, all Angiography including cardiac coronary angiogram, CT guided biopsy, Virtual endoscopy-bronchoscopy and colonscopy, multi-planner imaging and 3D reconstruction etc.
All systems ultrasound, Colour Doppler, Sonomammogram (breast), Obstetric and gynecology ultrasound, TVS (Uterus) and TRUS (prostate), Ultrasound guided biopsy (FNAC), etc.
Mammography with steriotactic biopsy
Bilateral and single mammography with various views and computer assisted biopsy
Peripheral Angiogram with angioplasty, various interventional procedures for brain, liver, kidney, uterus and other organ tumors. Cardiac coronary angiography with angioplasty and pacemaker, etc.
For all dental works
Fluoroscopy with CCTV and imaging intensifier
Barium swallow, double contrast barium meal, duodenography and barium follow through for small bowel, large bowel double contrast enema and fistulogram.
Sialography (salivary glands), Dacrocystography (Eye)
Kidney: MCU, RGU, and retrograde ureterography.
Liver: Drainage, PTC, T-Tube cholangiogram etc
800mA X-ray machines
General Radiography, IVU and emergency radiography
ICU & Operation Theatres
Intensive Care Unit
The Hospital has state-of-the-art Intensive Care Unit, Neonatal ICU, Paediatric ICU, CTVS ICU and an Operation Theatre complex.
The ICU is managed by well qualified and trained doctors, nurses and supporting staff. The ICU has facilities for
Ventilator Support – both Noninvasive / Invasive
Invasive procedures, CVP insertion, Arterial line, Invasive Homodynamic Monitoring, Pain Control in critically ill patients, Trauma management, both medical & surgical emergencies.
- It is equipped with central monitoring of vital parameters and mini-lab for ABGA.
- ventilators, defibrillator with external pacer, micro infusion pumps and ripple beds.
- Causality, Services, Specialized services like patients monitoring for hemodialysis & Peritoneal, dialysis.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
NICU provides neonatal services to all critical neonates born in the hospital as well as those referred from various peripheral hospitals and nursing homes. All pre-term babies are provided specialized care and all neonates having respiratory distress, jaundice, sepsis etc.
The facilities include
- Mechanical ventilatory support
- Exchange transfusion
- Total parentral nutrition
- Surfactant Therapy
- Blood Component Therapy etc
Operation Theatre (OT)
Centrally air-conditioned operation theatre complex is fully equipped for general and specialized surgical procedures.
The licensed Blood Bank, established in 1999, has a capacity to store three thousand units of blood at a time. Blood Bank follows strict quality control standards for all reagaents as well as blood and components. The Blood Bank follows the guidelines of National AIDS Control Organization (NACO). Round the clock blood bank facilities are available for the patients admitted in the hospital and to the patients of other near by hospitals and nursing homes. Regular Voluntary Blood Donation Camps are organized by the hospital.
Blood bank houses hi-tech instruments needed for processing whole blood and its various components like
- Packed Red Blood Cells
- Platelet Concentrate
- Fresh Frozen Plasma and Cryoprecipitate
Artificial Limb Centre
Hospital has state-of-the-art Artificial Limb Centre which undertakes manufacturing of artificial limbs and rehabilitation equipments for physically disabled and spinal injury patients. Artificial Limb Centre has facilities for:
- Upper limb orthosis
- Spinal orthosis
- Lower limb orthosis
- Lower limb prosthesis
The Hospital has an Integrated Counseling and Testing Center (ICTC) which provides free of cost HIV screening and counseling.
Kalpataru Hospital Pharmacy
The hospital pharmacy provides an easy access of medicines to the OPD and IPD patients at a concessional price. It also ensures easy availability of medicines in the Hospital OTs.
Accommodation Facilities - Nanak Sarai
The patient’s attendants have an access to an affordable accommodation at Nanak Sarai which also has mess and a cafeteria.
Canteen & Cafeteria
The hospital has a 24 hours canteen that offers snacks and meals at affordable prices.
Medicine & Allied
The Department of Medicine has various super-speciality wings attached to it viz., Cardiology, Neurology and Nephrology, Endocrinology, Rheumatology & Geriatric etc.
The following specialty clinics are being held in the department regularly
Nephrology, Mon, Wed, Fri
Rheumatology, Wed, Sat
Endocrinology & Diabetes, Tue, Thu
A patient admitted from casualty is managed in observation ward for initial stabilization and then shifted to either medicine ward, CCU (Coronary Care Unit), ICU (Intensive Care Unit), IMC (Intermediate Medical Care) ward, or General Medical ward.
In addition to ICU facilities for critically ill non-cardiac patients, a 35 bedded Intermediate Care Ward is available for step-down treatment for patients being shifted out from ICU or for seriously ill patients not requiring admission in ICU. IMC ward offers facilities including Cardiac Monitors, Defibrillators, pulse oximeters, Infusion pumps, Bipap Machine and continuous central Oxygen and suction facilities.
Dermatology, Venereology & Leprosy
The department provides all routine services in Clinical Dermatology
- Treatment of all the dermatological emergencies (Life threatening dermatosis)
- Aesthetic Dermatology & Dermatosurgery (Skin Biopsy, Electrosurgery e.g. Electrocautry, Radiofrequency, Intralesional Injections)
- Specialized service in Cosmetology – Chemical peeling with TCA
- Patch Test
- Glycolic Acid Peeling
- Molluscum & Milia Extraction
- Share excision for moles, nerves
- TCA, Padowant application
- Ear Piercing, Ear Lobe repair
The department is well equipped with basic as well as advanced equipment to handle all pulmonary diseases. The department is also approved for DOTS and DOTS-plus program under Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme (RNTCP). The Hospital is the only approved DOTS-plus center for the state of Uttarakhand.
Department is offering following specialized services
- Fibre-Optic Bronchoscopy
- Diagnostic work-up including Bronchial Biopsy, BAL, Brushing, Trans Bronchial Lung Biopsy (TBLB) under image-guidance and Transcarinal and Transbronchial FNAC (TBNA)
- Therapeutic bronchoscopy services including endobronchial electrocautery of tumors, foreign body removal etc.
- Thoracoscopic guided pleural biopsy
- Pleural adhesionolysis
- Drainage of loculated empyemas
- Talc pleurodesis
- Percutaneous FNAC lung
- Tube thoracostomy (Intercostal tube drainage)
- Pleural Air and fluid aspirations
- Pleural Biopsy
- Chemical Pleurodesis
- Pulmonary Function Tests:
- Detailed Spirometry
- Exercise Test
- 6-minute walk test
- Non-Invasive Ventilator
Community Services: The department organizes free medical camps (TB, asthma, COPD etc.), asthma awareness workshops/ public lectures for general public and patients.
The Department of Pediatrics provides preventive, promotive and curative services to the community in and around the Hospital.
The Pediatric Emergency Services are provided round the clock to all the children who report directly to the Department as well as to those who are referred from various private/ Government hospitals, Nursing homes and private practioners. The Pediatrics Ward is fully equipped with Monitors, Infusion pumps, Nebulizers, Central Suction & Oxygen supply to deal with various Pediatric problems.
NICU provides neonatal services to all critical neonates born is our institute as well as referred from other places. The facilities which are provided in NICU are mechanical ventilatory support (ventilator), Bubble CPAP, Exchange Transfusion, Phototherapy, total parental nutrition, surfactant therapy and blood component therapy.
The department is providing following specialized care through -
- Well Baby Clinic including Immunization facilities. (All vaccines are available in the department apart from vaccines under National Immunization programme)
- Child Guidance Clinic
Other specialized services:
The department has facilities for Psychological assessment and Psycho diagnostic work therapies like Psychotherapy, Client-Centered Therapy, Behaviour Modification Therapy etc. It also provides group Therapy for psychosexual disorders and other common disorders.
Department is offering following services:
- General Adult Psychiatry
- Child Psychiatry
- Geriatric Psychiatry
- De-addiction Psychiatry
- Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry
Surgery & Allied Departments
The department conducts all routine and emergency, major and minor operations.The department is having the following specialized services/clinics:
- Laparoscopic surgeries for Gall Bladder, Appendix, Inguinal & Ventral Hernia, Hiatus Hernia, Rectal Prolapse and Gynaecology Psocedures.
- Therapeutic endoscopy – All diagnnostic gastrointestinal endoscopic procedures . Variceal Ligation & Banding, Polypectomy, Foreign body removal, Endosopic retrograde Cholangio-Pancreaticography (ERCP) for CBD stone removal, Strictures, & CBD Stenting.
- All gastrointestinal operations including Hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgery, surgery for portal hypertension and pancreatitis, liver resection, portocaval shunts and colorectal surgeries for cancer
- Breast Cancer Clinic
- Thyroid Clinic.
- Surgery for Varicose Veins
- Minimally Invasive procedure for Haemorroids (piles)
- Infra-red-coagulation for piles
Obstetrics & Gynaecology
The department is providing routine and emergency Obstetric (Antenatal Care, Postnatal Care, Caesarean section etc.)and Gynaecological care. It is also a centre of excellence for quality family planning services.
- Obstetrics – Antenatal Care, Postnatal Care, Deliveries and Caesarean section facilities.
- High Risk Obstetric Case management.
- Family Welfare Clinic with quality family planning services
- Infertility work up & IUI facility.
- Genetic Counseling
- Fetal Medicine – Level II Obstetric USG Scan
- Chorionic villus Sampling (CVS)
- Fetal Autopsy
- Gynecological Oncology – Cancer detection and management.
- Geriatric Gynecology
- Adolescent Gynecology
- High Risk Gynecology like management of endometriosis, NDVH, Tubal Recanalization
- Fistulas, Gynae Plastic Surgery including vagino Plasty
- All Diagnostic & Operative Endoscopic procedures -
- Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy including LAVH, Ovarian Drilling, Ovarian Cystectomy, Adhesiolysis etc.
Orthopedic Services/ facilities at the Hospital
- Arthritis Management
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Infective arthritis
- Traumatic arthritis
- Arthroscopic Surgery
- Key hole surgery for disorders of knee-
- ACL Repair
- Meniscal Repair/ Exicision
- Arthroscopic Quadricepplasty
- Osteochondral defect procedure
- Ilizarov and External Fixation Device used for -
- Management of open fractures
- Infected non-union of long bones
- Limb lengthening
- Correction of deformities – CTEV
- Spinal Surgery
- Disc surgery
- Fixation of spinal fractures
- Surgery for tuberculosis of spine
- Vertebral column Tumour Surgeries/Metastatic Spine Surgeries
- Spinal Fusion for Spondylolisthesis
- Joint Replacement Surgery
- Total hip replacement
- Revision total hip replacement
- Total knee replacement
- Revision total knee replacement
- Total shoulder replacement
- Total elbow replacement
- Pediatric Orthopedics
- Correction of Congenital limb deformities – CTEV, CP
- Polio Surgeries
- Bone and Joint infections management
- Juvenile Arthritis management
- Treatment of Metabolic bone disorders
- Trauma and Fracture Surgery
- Modern AO- Techniques of minimally invasive surgery with
- high resolution Image Intensifier support
- Complex acetabular/ pelvic fracture fixation
- Complex Polytrauma management
- Juxta-articular fracture management
- Periprosthetic fracture
- Osteoporotic Fracture Fixation
- Pathological Fracture Fixation
- Tumour Surgery-
- Limb Salvage surgery
- Custom Made Prosthetic Replacement
Ear Nose Throat (ENT)
The department of ENT carries out all routine and advanced ENT and head-neck surgeries, Micro Ear Surgery, Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS), Pure Tone Audiometry, Tympanometry and Speech Therapy. Tympanoplasty/Mastoidectomy / Stapedotomy / Facial Nerve Decompression etc. are also performed.
All types of diseases of Ear, Nose and Throat are managed with latest technology and the facilities are available for 24 hours.
Procedures/Facilities related to EAR:
- Tests for diagnosing hearing loss:
- Pure Tone Audiometry (PTA)/ Speech Audiometry/ Special Hearing Tests/Early Detection of Hearing Loss/ Hearing Aid Trial/ Impedence Audiometry/ OAE/BERA/ASSR/ Rehabilitation of Deaf-Mute Patient
- Latest tests for assessing hearing of neonates.
- Tympanoplasty/Mastoidectomy/ Stapedotomy/Facial Nerve Decompression etc.
- COCHLEAR IMPLANT SURGERY
- Investigations and treatment of Vertigo
- Hearing Aids are available at reasonable rates at Mukti Hearing Aid Center in the Hospital campus.
Procedures/Facilities related to NOSE:
- Diseases of nose are evaluated and diagnosed by Endoscopy and Endoscopic surgeries of Nose-FESS, Endoscopic DCR, CSF Rhinorrhoea are performed
- Pituitary Tumour Surgery via Nasal route (Endoscopic Hypophysectomy)
- Surgery for deformed nose, broken nose – Rhinoplasty & Septorhinoplasty
- Investigation and treatment of Snoring & Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)
- Test and treatment for Nasal allergy
Procedures/Facilities related to THROAT:
- Assessment, treatment and surgery for Voice disorders (Microlaryngeal Surgery and Thyroplasty).
- Speech therapy facility for Stammering/Speech disorders/Puberophonia/ Post Surgical patients of Cleft Lip and Plate.
- Foreign body removal from aerodigestive tract (Bronchoscopy, Esophagoscopy) etc.
Facility related to HEAD AND NECK:
- Diagnosis and treatment of Thyroid disorders (Goitre) malignancy,
- Diagnosis and treatment of cancers of Ear, Nose, Throat, Head and Neck region.
Services/ facilities at the Hospital
- Refraction and prescription of glasses (in house optical shop)
- Orthoptic work up
- Sutureless cataract surgery( phacoemulsification, manual SICS)
- Cornea services, Eye Bank & Keroto Plasty & Specular Microscopy
- Vitreoretinal services
- Medical retina – fundus fluorescein angiography, fundus photography, frequency doubled Nd :YAG laser for retinal problems , intravitreal injections Laser Capsulotomy & Iridotomy
- Screening of preterm babies for ROP( retinopathy of prematurity)
- Vitreoretinal surgery including retinal detachment surgery and vitrectomy for various retinal problems e.g vitreous haemorrhage, removal of intraocular foreign bodies, diabetic retinopathy
- Optical Coherence Tomography.
- Pediatric ophthalmology services: The department has a state of the art Pediatric Ophthalmology unit which provides specialized services for children upto 16 years of age. These include management of
- strabismus( squint), amblyopia ( lazy eye), ptosis ( drooping of eyelids)
- pediatric cataracts and glaucoma
- congenital malformations and genetic disorders
- abnormal vision development and (visual inattention) disorders
- Glaucoma diagnosis and management
- IOP measurement by Goldmann applanation tonometer, tonopen and gonioscopy
- visual field analysis by Humphrey visual field analyzer
- laser iridotomy and glaucoma surgeries
- Oculoplasty services including
- Surgeries for ptosis, lid deformities, orbital tumours,
- Fitting of ocular prosthesis ( artificial eye)
- Low vision aid Clinic
- Contact lens fitting
- A & B Scan Ultrasonography
Department offers various routine dental procedures apart from specialized dental care services.
- Cosmetic dentistry ( composite lamination , diastema correction , Reshaping of teeth)
- Laser tooth whitening
- Braces (orthodontic)
- Metal free crown and bridges
- Tooth restorations (filling)
- Diagnosis, prevention and treatment of periodontal diseases.
- Ultrasonic cleaning (scaling)
- Full mouth rehabilitation
- Night guards
- Pedodontics (Dentistry for children, sealant etc.)
- Teeth space closure
- Endodontics – Root canal therapy
- Skyce tooth jewellery
- Surgical tooth extraction
- Splinting of tooth
- Cleft orthodontics
The Department of Neurosciences provides comprehensive and cost effective care through the following units:
- Neuro Psychitry & Sleep Management
- Holistic Medicine & Biofeedback
- Neuro Rehabilitation
1. Neurology Unit:
The Unit has the following facilities:
- OPDs on all days except Sundays & some national holidays along with IPD facilities
- Critical Care is being provided through semi-ICU and ICU.
- General neurology – daily OPD and IPD care. IPD is having good critical care bed as well along with very cost effective general ward.
- Neurology Lab testing – All kind of neurology lab testing including Nerve conduction study, Electromyography, visual evoked potential and auditory evoked potentials are available
- Electroencephalography – all types of EEG (Conventional, digital, portable bed side, long term video EEG) is available.
- Sleep Lab – fully equipped polysomnography and C-PAP titration facility is available with overnight stay in hospital.
- Epilepsy monitoring unit – A well equipped EMU is available for monitoring of the patients undergoing epilepsy surgery.
- Biofeedback unit – there is well equipped EMG and respiratory biofeedback unit for the care of chronic stress conditions.
- Neuro-rehabilitation Unit – for post stroke patient rehabilitation and for neurological diseases
- Neuro-psychiatric Lab has facilities for
- Epilepsy Monitoring Unit
2. Neurosurgery Unit:
Neurosurgery is well equipped with state-of-art Operation Theatre having advance microscopic brain surgery, laparoscopic surgery and spinal surgery. Expert management of all kinds of head injury and spinal trauma with facility of 12-bed ICU with 6 ventilators and urgent operative intervention are available in the department. All allied help like MRI, 64 slice Spiral CT and DSA facilities are available.
The following procedure are regularly done in Neurosurgery Unit:
- Head injury
- Ventricular surgery
- Brain Surgery
- Tumor Surgery
- Epilepsy surgery
- Neuro Endoscopy
- Brain Endoscopy Surgery
- Bed sore debridemen
- Burr hole for Chronic SAH
- Endoscopic Spinal Procedure
- Shunt Surgery
- Spinal Fusion/Fixation
- Trans Nasal procedure
- Transphenoidal surgery
- Surgery for Spinal Tumor
- Operation for CSF Rhinorrhoea
- Endoscopic Intra Cranial Procedure
3. Neuo-Psychiatry & Sleep Management
The Unit helps the patients having neuro-psychiatric illness and sleep related disorders through Sleep Clinic. Daily OPD & IPD facilities are available to manage the cases. Along with it clinical psychologist is attached with the department for behaviour therapy and counseling.
Sleep Clinic is providing services to all kinds of sleep disorders including insomnia, sleep apnea, hypersomnia, parasomnia, sleep related movement disorders, shift-worker sleep disorders etc. Facilities for diagnosis (level I polysomnography) and treatment (CPAP/BiPAP; behavioral interventions for insomnia etc as well as pharmacotherapy) of sleep disorders are available.
- Overnight attended video-polysomnography (17 channels) with manual scoring
- Overnight attended manual CPAP/Bi-PAP titration
- Extended montage for movement disorders
4. Holistic Medicine & Biofeedback
It is a unique facility which is only available in the Himalayan Hospital for treating patients with chronic disorders like headaches, depressions etc. without medication.
Holistic Medicine is an approach to healing that goes beyond the suppression of symptoms to work with the underlying disharmony of mind and body that is at the root of disease. The dimensions of holistic approach are Thought patterns, Emotions and biological urges, Breathing and energy, Cleansing and elimination, Diet & eating habit, Posture & movement, Pattern of autonomic nervous system, Inte
- Stress Profile Test
- Biofeedback Test
- Heart Rate Variability (HRV)
- DB/SR Exercise
- DB/SR Exercise OPD
- Detailed Assessment
- I.Q. Test
- Cognitive Test
This Unit is managed by qualified MPT Neuro faculty who help those patients having physical disability like paralysis stroke, muscle weekness and myopahty. TENS, Tilt Table Rehabilitation; Electrical Stimulation Lab etc. are available with the unit.
The Cardiology Department has state of the art Coronary Care Unit (CCU) with HP cardiac monitors, Defibrillator, Ventilator, HP ECG machine, NIBP, bed side Echo & intra aortic balloon pump facility. The Investigations and procedures are listed below:
1. Non-Invasive Cardiology
- 3-Channel ECG with computerized reporting
- 2-D echo cardiography with colour doppler
- Contrast eco cardiography
- Computerized TMT and Holter Monitoring
- Dobutamine Stress Echo Cardiography
- StressTc/Thallium Scan
- CT-Coronary Angiography
2. Invasive Cardiology
- Angiography & Angioplasty
- Coronary (including 24 hours emergency Angioplasty)
- Trans radial Angiography (walking angiography)
- Bronchial Artery Embolization
- Balloon Valvuloplasty
- ASD and PDA device closure
- Pacemaker implantation (24 hour emergery temporary pacemaker implantation and permanent pacemaker implantation)
- ICD (single and dual chamber)
- Biventricular Pacing (including Combo Device implantation)
The Department has following labs for conducting various specialized procedures:
- Routine Coronary angiography, Peripheral angiography, Carotid angiography.
- Walk in angiography (through radial route)
- Coronary and peripheral angioplasty.
- 24 hours Emergency, Primary angioplasty for heart attack patient.
- All kinds of temporary and permanent pacemaker implantation, ICD and CRT implantation.
- Balloon mitral Valvotomy ; IVC filter.
Heart Station ( Cardiology Lab & OPD)
TMT Lab- TMT machine with telemetry system “Mortara USA”
Arrhythmia monitoring Lab
- Holter recording equipment “Mortara USA” with software with analyzer is being used for 24 hour recording & analyze of heart rhythm.
- Welch Allyn “Ambulatory BP recording” facilities has also become available for round the clock monitoring and recording of blood pressure
- H.X image point color Doppler & Echo cardiography machine
- New Potable Echo Doppler machine with TEE probe (ACUSON-CYPRESS)
The lab is well equipped with latest cardiography machines
Cardio Thoracic and Vascular Surgery
- Pediatrics Cardiac Surgery
- CTVS ICU
- Nuclear Cardiac Scan for Post Cardiac Surgery
The department specializes in Closed cardiac procedures, Open heart procedures, beating heart surgery for coronary bypass grafts, thoracic procedures & peripheral vascular surgery. All facilities of valve replacement and ASD, VSD closure are available in Cardiac OT. Pediatrics Cardiac Surgery is also available at this centre. The Department has a fully equipped CTVS ICU with facilities for invasive monitoring with CTVS Ward for pre and post operative care Facility for Nuclear Cardiac Scan for post cardiac surgery and elderly patient is also available.
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (CABG)
- Valve Repair/ Replacement Surgery
- Closed Heart Procedures
- Congenital Heart Diseases- Palliative and Curative including
- Cyanotic Heart Disease (blue babies)
- Valve Replacement & CABG
Other Major Procedures
- Pulmonary Embolectomy
- Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm
- Aorto Femoral Bypass
- Carotid Endarterectomy
- Cervical Rib
- Peripheral Embolectomy
- Femora-Popliteal Grafts (Saph. Vein/ Synthetic Grafts)
- Vascular Surgeries (including vascular trauma with or without orthopaedic injury)
- A-V Fistula
- Expl. Thoractomy
- Sternal Suturing
- Intercostal Drainage
- Rib Resection Drainage
Urology, Kidney & Renal Transplantation
A team of qualified urologists provide super-specialized care which includes all major urological operations.
- Radical cystectomy and diversions, Radical prostatectomy
- Incontinence studies and operations including slings and plastic operations
- Reconstructive surgeries
- Paediatric and female urological problems and microsurgery for infertility
- Endourologicalsurgeries – lower tract, (TUR-P/TUR-BT), upper tract (PCNL, URS) etc.
- Extra corporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) by latest Dornier machine with IITV and ultrasound modes
- Cystometrography and EMG studies for bladder and urethra pressure monitoring urodynamic machine
- Advanced workup of impotent patients and has facilities for penile prosthesis
- Renal transplantation
- Laproscopic Urological surgery for various conditions
The Hospital is authorized for kidney transplantation by the Government of Uttarakhand and is the only centre in the state authorized to perform kidney transplantation. The Nephrology department provides complete kidney care including kidney transplant and dialysis. The Dialysis Unit is a state of art air-conditioned facility with 15 stations including isolation for Hepatitis B and HIV patients. A moden Water Treatment Plant provides extremely pure water for dialysis.
- Diagnostic procedures for kidney diseases including USG-guided renal biopsy
- Kidney Transplantation
- Slow Low Efficiency Dialysis (SLED)
- Plasmapheresis (membrane based)
- Acute and chronic peritoneal dialysis (PD)
- Percutaneous CAPD catheter implantation
Vascular Access Procedures
- Temporary hemodialysis catheterization
- Tunneled hemodialysis catheterization and related procedures
- AV Fistula procedures – fistulogram, fistula angioplasty and fistula thrombectomy
The Plastic Surgery department routinely performs Lipoplasty, Pediatric and Urologic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- Reconstruction for defects caused by Trauma, Cancer and other ablative surgery
- Total burn care: fresh burns and old burns deformities.
- Surgery for congenital deformities hand, ears, face & others
- Liposuction & Body contouring
- Cosmetic surgery:-
- Face lift
- Scar removal
- Esthetic eyelid surgery
- Esthetic rhinoplasty
- Esthetic lip surgery
- Breast augmentation and reduction
- Skin replacement surgery
- Facio maxillary surgery for trauma and birth defects
- Microvascular surgery free flap, vascular reconstruction and reimplantation services
- Hand surgery
- Hypospadias repair
Free Cleft Treatment under Smile Train Project
The Plastic Surgery department at the Himalayan Institute Hospital, in partnership with the Smile Train Organization, is providing free treatment since 2004 to people suffering from with Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate. The department has treated more than 5200 patients suffering from so far through this project and has brought a brilliant smile to innocent faces. The smile train organization has sponsored a custom-designed Tata Nano car for the Plastic surgery Department, Himalayan Institute. The car is used to increase general awareness about cleft lip and cleft palate cases, so that more and more people come forward for the treatment of such cases.
- Free Surgery for deformities of clefts of lip, palete, cleft nose and allied problems.
- Hi-tech operation theatre
- Pickup and drop facilities for patients in a Hi-tec dedicated a/c van
- Monetary aid to the beneficiaries for covering travel expenses
- The centre is reputed for corrections of secondary deformities of cleft lip-palate, caused by previous bad surgery
- Dedicated Pediatric ICU with ventilator facility
- The Patients are provided a beautiful school bag at the timeof discharge from the Hospital
- Educational grant to select patients.
The department has a team of dedicated surgeons and is backed by a ICU and neonatal nursery. All kinds of specialized surgical care for paediatric patients, including neonates and low birth weight babies are available.
Super specialized care
- Cystoscopic pediatric urology
- Intersex disorders
- Paediatric thoracic surgery
- Paediatric gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary surgery
- Childhood tumors and malignancies.
- Congenital neurosurgical problems like spinal bifida, hydrocephalus and tethered cord
- Paediatric and Neo Natal Bronchoscopy for the treatment of foreign body bronchus in children
- Latest paediatric systoscopes available
- Neonatal ventillation facility available
The department of gastroenterology is well equipped in handling various gastrointestinal diseases like acid peptic disease, reflux disease, malignancies of GI tract, liver diseases like acute viral hepatitis, hepatitis B AND C infection, chronic liver disease and it’s complications like ascites, upper GI bleeding, hepatic encephalopathy, etc. And luminal gastrointestinal disorders like ulcerative colitis, crohn’s disease and intestinal tuberculosis. In endoscopy unit simple and advanced endoscopic procedures for both diagnostic and therapeutic purpose are done. These procedures include :
- Diagnostic upper GI Endoscopy
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Rapid urease test for H pylori infection
- Stricture dilatation
- Sclerotherapy and banding of oesophageal varices
- Ulcer injection in bleeding ulcers
- Nectacryl glue injection for fundal varices
- Esophageal metal stenting
- Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG)
- Endoscopic polypectomy
- Diagnostic ERCP
- Therapeutic ERCP like removal of CBD stones, CBD and PD stenting , etc.
The hospital delivers the most modern and affordable cancer treatment through a multidisciplinary team approach which also lays stress on Psycho-social & Palliative care and cancer pain management besides the conventional treatment facilities like Radiotherapy, Chemotherapy and Surgery.
The Oncological services are provided through the Cancer Research Institute, the first and the only comprehensive cancer care centre in Uttarakhand which is equipped with most modern facilities for cancer control such as prevention, early detection and state of art treatment facilities supported by research and education.
CRI provides facilities for Radiotherapy, Chemotherapy including intensive chemotherapy and targeted therapy. The department of Nuclear Medicine is a functional diagnostic and therapeutic facility in CRI, one of its kind in the state of Uttarakhand.
Anaesthesis, Critical Care & Pain Management
The Department is providing anaesthesia services for 10 Surgical Operation Theatres,13 bedded Intensive Care Unit and 29 Bedded Post Anaesthesia Care Unit.
The Department is providing perioperative care in preanaesthesia, postanaesthesia rooms, Operation Theatres and post operative wards. These operation theatres have central supply of medical gases, vacuum, central air-conditioning and are equipped with latest technology networked anaesthesia work stations and surgical equipment. The department performs conventional general anaesthetics, spinal/ epidural blocks and nerve blocks with nerve locators. All operating rooms have capabilities of routine monitoring under anaesthesia including invasive haemodynamic monitoring and anaesthetic agent monitoring when required. Anaesthesia services are also provided at MRI/ CT Room, Gastroendoscopy room, Radiology angiocath room, Cardiology angiography room
The Department is running ‘State -of- the -Art’ 13 bedded Intensive Care Unit bedded which is equipped with latest equipment and has provided exemplary care to critically ill patients of trauma, poisoning, sepsis, cardio respiratory insufficiency and multi organ dysfunction syndrome. It is equipped with state of the art ventilators, multiparameter patient monitors and renal replacement therapy.
The Department of Anaesthesia has also introduced acute pain service for management of postoperative pain and Pain Management Centre for management of chronic pain. Pain Clinic Services are provided round the clock throughout the hospital for acute pain. Procedures performed to manage chronic pain include lumbar sympathetic block, stellate ganglion block, paraverbral block, celiac plexus block and epidural steroids.
Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation
The physiotherapy and rehabilitation services at Himalayan Hospital help patients with a variety of neurological, orthopedic, cardiopulmonary, surgical and gynecological problems. Physiotherapy assessment and treatment aims at restoring the normal functions of the human body so that the patients can get back to their normal life as soon as possible.
The Physiotherapy Department is equipped with advanced electrotherapeutical and physical modalities to provide following rehabilitation services:
- Sensory stimulation/ coma arousal therapy
- Paraplegia and quadriplegia rehabilitation
- Cranial nerve rehabilitation
- Cognitive Behavioral therapy
- Motor re-education
- Sensory re-education
- Bladder training program
- Mat activities and transfer training
- Balance and coordination rehabilitation
- Gait rehabilitation
- Pressure sore management
- Disability assessment
- Relaxation exercises
- Pediatric rehabilitation
- Geriatric rehabilitation
- Postoperative fracture management
- Pre and post joint replacement rehabilitation
- Spinal rehabilitation
- Pain management
- Arthritis management
- Postural assessment and rehabilitation
- Congenital disorder management
- Ergonomic rehabilitation
- Hand rehabilitation
Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Services
- Chest physiotherapy/Bronchial hygiene therapy
- Ventilator weaning rehabilitation
- Pre and post surgical cardiac rehabilitation
- Pre and post surgical pulmonary rehabilitation
- Exercise tolerance testing
- COPD rehabilitation
- Fitness assessment and rehabilitation
- Emergency and ICU management
Medicine, Surgical & Gynaecological Rehabilitation
- Burn assessment and rehabilitation
- Plastic surgery rehabilitation
- Antenatal and post natal rehabilitation
- Pre and post abdominal surgery rehabilitation
Homoeopathy is a system in which specially prepared medicines are prescribed on an individual basis to reinforce the body’s innate healing force so that the individual is less susceptible to infection and serious illnesses. Homeopathy strengthens and stimulates the immune system to enhance the potential for self-healing. This is done without any dangerous side effects. All aspects of the person are taken into consideration – physical, emotional and mental. Homoeopathy is especially useful in the treatment of chronic diseases and to enhance the healing process in common injuries such as sprains, fracture, burns and allergies.
Homeopathy strengthens and stimulates the immune system to enhance the potential for self-healing. This is done without any dangerous side effects. At HIHT homeopathic treatment is used in many diseases and conditions that do not respond to standard treatment.
- Children with delayed development due to birth trauma, birth hypoxia, all trauma cases
- fractures; non-healing fractures
- head injuries from RTA or FFH
- spinal injuries
- crush injuries
- insect bites, snake bites
- post surgery in general
- post dental work
- post natal healing
- chronic osteomyelitis
- any wound that is not healing
- bed sores
- post delivery healing
- Post chemotherapy and radiation healing
- Pyrexia of unknown origin
- Kidney stones
- Urinary tract infections
- Hemiplegia after stroke
- Chronic pain
- Chronic disease
- asthma; chronic bronchitis
- back pain
- cervical spondylitis
- chronic suppurative otitis media
- recurrent upper respiratory infections
- chronic tonsillitis and adenoids
- chronic sinusitis
- arthralgia, arthritis
- irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis
- hyperacidity, gastritis
- migraines and other headache
- Functional disorders of the reproductive system
- dysfunctional uterine bleeding
- uterine fibroids
- ovarian cysts
- hormonal imbalances
- menopausal symptoms
- menstrual irregularities
- pelvic inflammatory disease
- benign hypertrophy prostate, prostatitis
- infertility, sterility
- drug reactions
- overuse of antibiotics, steroids, any other drugs
- skin diseases
- Skin diseases
Keeping high the vision of H.H. Dr. Swami Rama, the founder, of an integrated health service, the department of Ayurvedic Medicine provides both in-house and outpatient treatment facilities to its clientele. The Panchkarma OPD therapy programme also started in the main hospital building. The In-house treatment facilities are provided through the Ayurvedic Centre.
Blood Bank, +91-135-2471223
Cancer Research Institute (CRI), +91-135-2471409
Cardiac Surgery, +91-135-2471410
Chest & T.B., +91-135-2471362
Dermatology, Venereology & Leprosy, +91-135-2471358
Dialysis, +91-135-2471401, +91-135-2471352
Integrated Counselling & Testing Centre (ICTC), +91-135-2471403
Medicine, +91-135-2471358, +91-135-2471360
Mind Body Medicine, +91-135-2471230
Neuro Surgery, +91-135-2471332
Obstetrics & Gyneacology, +91-135-2471372, +91-135-2471356
Pediatric Surgery, +91-135-2471424
Plastic Surgery, +91-135-2471384
Reference Laboratory, +91-135-2471248
Biochemistry Section, +91-135-2471411
Pathology Section, +91-135-2471412
Microbiology Section, +91-135-2471413
Administration and Emergency Numbers:
Medical Superintendent, +91-135-247123, +91-135-2471240, (Fax)+91-135-2471317, firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiry/Reception, +91-135-2471200, +91-135-2471 111
Emergency and Ambulance, +91-135-2471225, +91-135-2471100
Himalayan Institute Hospital Trust
Swami Ram Nagar, P.O Doiwala
Distt. Dehradun – 248140 Uttarakhand, India